Keratin Treatment: The Mania
Keratin treatment is the hot trend in hair styling. It’s the buzz word around the world. The interest it has generated so far has almost made it a normal vocabulary in the hair care industry. But no matter how fashionable and faddish it is, you have to know all the facts appropriately before venturing into it. Or else there may be a few unwanted surprises and after effects gawking at you.
What is Keratin Treatment
Keratin treatment is
- The hair straightening treatment
- Which can make your hair fuzz free
- Will straighten your curls
- Add required shine to the hair
- Effects lasts temporarily for four-five month
What to Expect in a Salon
- The first step of the treatment is to shampoo thoroughly, focusing on the hair strands and not the scalp. This is done to assure that pores of hair strands are exposed to keratin solution when applied.
- The second step is blow drying the hair until the hair is damp or 70% dry.
- The third step is the application of keratin solution on small portions of the hair so that each strand is thoroughly coated with the solution.
- The solution is allowed to sit on your hair for about 10 to 20 minutes depending upon how curly and frizzy your hair conditions are.
- Next step is blow drying the hair with the product on it. It may take some time.
- The last step is to flat iron the small sections of hair using a ceramic iron, heated to 450 degrees, until no product vapors come out.
Cautions After the Treatment
- It is advised not to wash hair for at least three days after the treatment.
- Not to use bands and hair clips because it can give dents in the hair.
- After the completion of treatment, it is advised to use only sulphate free shampoo and conditioners.
Expected Benefits and Conveniences
- This treatment is a boon for the people with coarse, curly, frizzy and unruly hair. It makes the hair stronger, smoother and more manageable leading to the shiny, soft, smooth and fuzz-free hair.
- It can be used for colored, permed, highlighted and bleached hair. It does not destroy the Color in Color-treated hair but rather seals the Color.
- Keratin treatments are not permanent unlike hair straightening treatments. There is no grow out problems. After regular hair wash, hair comes back to its natural form.
- It reduces the drying and styling time dramatically up to 50%
Hindrances and Drawbacks
- Keratin which is used during this treatment is artificially made and can cause irritation of the skin and the eyes.
- Formaldehyde which is used in most of the keratin treatments is the potentially hazardous chemical which may cause cancer. Some studies confirm this fear if exposed for a prolonged time. It is not safe for the stylist as well.
- High temperature above 400 degrees which is used during the process to seal the keratin in hair strands can cause potential damages to the hair strands. It may destroy the natural structure of keratin in the hair strands.
Some Extra Points to Contemplate
The Web is full of stories of people who struggled with hair loss after the keratin treatment. Though manufacturers claim that this does not cause any scalp changes leading to hair loss but experiences of some people suggest otherwise. In many cases it might lead to the extremely dry hair with split ends and breakages. Repeatingthe treatment might multiply the damages in the already impaired hair.
Keratin treatment is expensive and after the treatment also, one has to use sulphate free hair products. You need to invest in an expert stylists for the maximum results and the minimum damages. If stylists are not trained enough, they might expose your hair to too much of heat leading toirreparable damages. Therefore the success of the treatment is skill and tool dependent.
One has to undergo the treatment after every few months to maintain the same texture. Otherwise the hair will become the same fizzy again. Expectant mothers should not undergo this treatment because it contains formaldehyde and it is not safe during that period.
An Informed Decision is Pivotal
Though it is a great way to remove the frizz from hair but it comes with its own sets of compromises. Any new and latest approaches will definitely have it’s own critics and complimenters. After considering the above points, weigh down and decide whether it is suitable for you or not. An informed decision is the key to all the success stories.